Latest from Alliance

News

Oak Foundation appoints Masego Madzwamuse to direct Environment Programme

23 October 2021
Alliance magazine

The Oak Foundation has appointed Masego Madzwamuse as director of its  Environment Programme. Madzwamuse, who was previously CEO at the Southern Africa Trust, joined the Geneva-based team last month. ‘Masego has an established track record as grant maker and a policy analyst specialising in climate justice, natural resources management, and social development,’ said Oak Foundation President Douglas Griffiths in a statement. In a recent interview published by the Oak Foundation, Madzwamuse shared her motivation for …

News

European climate funding: small sums distributed unequally

20 October 2021
Elika Roohi

Funding for climate change mitigation in Europe amounts to less than two per cent of total philanthropic funding on the continent – and within that sum, just 3.5 per cent is directed in grants to Eastern Europe with the other 96.5 per cent allocated to Western Europe. ‘This is particularly alarming given that Europe plays an important role as a global laboratory for climate policy and technology innovation,’ notes the report from which these figures …

News

Vladimir Potanin establishes $1.4 billion endowment for his foundation

17 October 2021
Alliance magazine

Russian Philanthropist Vladimir Potanin has announced that he is establishing a 100 billion ruble ($1.4 billion) endowment for his philanthropic organisation, the Vladimir Potanin Foundation. ‘I have dedicated all my entrepreneurial life to philanthropy, and this is my conscious choice. Long ago, I made a decision that my fortune should work for the good of society. My Foundation has been implementing systematic projects since 1999. The pandemic 2020 year demonstrated the significance of ensuring the …

News

EFC launch podcast series ahead of 2021 Conference in Vienna

16 October 2021
Alliance magazine

To raise the curtain on the 2021 European Foundation Centre (EFC) Conference, taking place from 18-20 October in Vienna, the EFC has released a new podcast series focusing on one of the four conference tracks: Climate, Democracy, Philanthropy and Society. Guest are joined by EFC Chief Executive Delphine Moralis and 2021 Conference Chair Franz Karl Prüller, and each podcast was hosted by Chris Burns, a Brussels-based journalist. According EFC , this year’s conference will look at …

News

Over 20 foundations join to commit $223 million to reducing methane emissions

14 October 2021
Alliance magazine

More than 20 leading philanthropic organisations have partnered to commit $223 million to drastically reducing methane emissions around the world. …

News

Philanthropy Together launches racial equity programme for giving circles globally

14 October 2021
Alliance magazine

Philanthropy Together — a global initiative to diversify and democratize philanthropy through scaling and strengthening giving circles — has launched …

News

New report offers advice for grantmakers working in Africa

14 October 2021
Alliance magazine

A new report from the Africa Grantmakers’ Affinity Group shares advice and reflections by individuals engaged in grantmaking in Africa. …

News

Philanthropy centre joins women’s university to explore impact, potential for philanthropy in Pakistan

12 October 2021
Alliance magazine

The Pakistan Centre for Philanthropy has joined the Fatima Jinnah Women University in establishing a programme of activities that will …

News

Austrian foundation ERSTE Stiftung appoints new CEO

10 October 2021
Alliance magazine

Austrian Foundation ERSTE Stiftung has appointed Boris Marte as CEO. Marte has been a member of the foundation’s Managing Board …

News

Climate funding is rising – but it’s still unable to break the 2% barrier

8 October 2021
Elika Roohi

Funding for climate action still sits at less than two per cent of all philanthropic funding, ClimateWorks’ annual funding trends …

News

2020 estimates of racial equity funding off by as much as two-thirds. Actual figure far less, finds research

6 October 2021
Alliance magazine

Roughly $11.9 billion in philanthropic capital was pledged for racial equity in 2020 according to Candid – however, new research …

News

Which session at the 2021 EFC Conference would you most like to read about?

5 October 2021
Alliance magazine

As we approach the annual 2021 EFC Conference , Alliance is assembling a team of bloggers to report from the event. We …

News

King Baudouin Foundation launches Myriad, an alliance to facilitate borderless giving

2 October 2021
Alliance magazine

Donors across four different continents can now support charities in nearly 100 countries through Myriad, an alliance created by the …