A group of Global South funders have joined together in a new initiative to direct resources to local grassroots organisations working on the frontlines of the climate crisis.
The new fund, called Alianza Socioambiental Fondos del Sur (Socio-Environmental Funds of the Global South), is a network that will have nationally- and regionally-based funding disbursement structures operating in local languages and cultures, making grants in local currencies, and offering a safe space for community leaders to develop skills that will eventually open doors to more support.
Some of the foundations joining this initiative include long-standing socio-environmental funders alongside more recently launched funders, including:
- Casa Socio-Environmental Fund (Fundo Casa Socioambiental) in Brazil
- Solidarity Action Fund (Fondo Acción Solidaria) in México
- Tierra Viva Foundation (Fundación Tierra Viva) in Central America
- Samdhana Institute in Southeast Asia
- Semilla Fund (Fundación Semilla) in Bolivia
- Peru Socio-environmental Fund (Fondo Socioambiental Peru) in Peru
- Emerge Socio-Environmental Fund (Emerger Fondo Socioambiental) in Colombia
- Ñeque Fund (Fondo Ñeque) in Ecuador
- Tindzila Fund (Fundo Tindzila) in Mozambique
‘These activist funds understand how the most vulnerable populations facing environmental challenges are also the most excluded from philanthropic support. They have their rights constantly violated, and in general cannot be accessed at scale by any outside funder,’ said Fundo Casa Socioambiental in a statement.
The Fondos del Sur, though technically intermediary funds, differ from traditional funding mechanisms of the same model, as they are part of their own ecosystems and their own local struggles for planetary protection in their own societies.
‘Without them, the most vulnerable and excluded communities in their countries of origin would be fighting alone, never knowing such a thing as philanthropy exists in the world… they are the only bridge between these two worlds. Their mission is to make sure the true guardians of our planet’s biodiversity are not fighting alone and have the means and the respect they deserve to carry on protecting these places for all of humanity,’ continued Fundo Casa Socioambiental.
Alianza Socioambiental Fondos del Sur launched with an online event earlier this week.